Monday, May 14, 2007

Quite a phone call

My daughter, Nirvana, called and left an “I have something to talk with you about” message. The last time she did that I was to be informed that she was completing her quiet conversion to Catholicism, and was sending invites to her first Communion.

Now she’s married to her Catholic sponsor, a delightful man named Scott. They live in the New Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia. I visited them in March, while back east on LNG shenanigans. They are just the sweetest most considerate couple. And Nirvana made wonderful gourmet treats and yummy Finnish carrot soup.

Anyway, I was stuck in meetings all afternoon before I could call back. As it turns out my daughter had only just learned today that she had earned her B.S. in Economics from Rutgers, and had scrambled to get her cap and gown so she could walk on Saturday! It’s too short a notice for me to be there, but I can shop.

Well, if that wasn’t enough, Nirvana then informed me that she had been promoted at work. Hmm, for the cryptic tone of the message, this was going well. I’m very proud of my daughter

Then…. she let slip quite casually that I should become a grandfather about the time of my birthday in December. That rascal had set me up with the other news, even though it was all true. Some Huhtalas have a very dry sense of humor.

I’m absolutely completely pleased. This is one fortunate kid, coming into this world with such wonderful parents. And Grandpa can’t wait to get to know this lucky human being.

I wonder if I can learn to knit?

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Congratulations on your pending role as grandfather. I love being a grandfather to my 3 great grandkids. Fortunately, 2 of them live here and unfortunately the other one is in Eugene. I would like to recommend that you purchase the 2 pack of web cams from Costco and send 1 of them to your daughter. This way you can do an internet phone call and see your grandchild. Technology is wonderful!

Jeff said...

Oops, I better change the word "great" to fantastic. I'm not that old yet!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations "Grandpa"?

Peter Huhtala, a Grand Father?

You have been blessed my friend as K.C. and I have and we love every minute of being grand parents as we know you will.

Good health to both your daughter and that newcomer.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're ready for this. It's quite a ride for a silly old man.